Let's do a cost-analysis and slide show of this month's results.
First up, poor, poor SkippyJon Jones Rogers, the dog of questionable pedigree. This little doggie costs $40-$60 to get shaved by a groomer. And he needs to be groomed about three times during the summer and probably needs at least a comb-out once over the winter, but I neglected that this year. His shave-job took me at least three hours, with him trembling the whole time and avoiding me for days afterward. It came out looking patchy but dog-ish and I think he might have had a little razor-burn on the backside. Poor doggie. Cost: I did spend $35 on a new pair of clippers for Skippy since it just didn't seem right to cut Skippy's hair with the same clippers that I use on Tyce (who knows what kind of little boy cooties he might have caught!).
Next, Miss Lane. Surprisingly, the easiest of the bunch. I avoided doing her trim for so long thinking that all of her hair was just about to be long enough to reach a ponytail in the back, but it just never seemed to get there. It was looking scraggly and I was feeling brave, so I took off about an inch all the way around. No fancy layering, no cutesy style, but luckily she is a cutesy kid and the new cut lays really nicely on her adorable little head. In fact, she can actually wear her hair down occasionally now and low-and-behold, somehow it almost all reaches a ponytail in the back now. Will wonders never cease? Savings: $15. All "profit" here, baby!
One day I decide that I need bangs. No, I need botox and highlights. No, I need bangs and highlights. No, I need a new outfit and new shoes and new jewelry. Hmmm... what's the affordable option here? Bangs and highlights in the bathroom while the kids are in the tub. Results are OK. Bangs didn't come out too short, which was my biggest fear, and cover the wrinkles pretty darn well. Unfortunately, they also cover my eyes and drive my batty, so they get clipped back half the time or brushed to the side, like they are in this picture. I was really conservative with the highlights, so there was almost no visible effect, but I'm OK with that. I can always add more later. All in all, it will stretch my salon "do" for at least a month or two. Cost: $5 for (sale-priced) highlights-in-a-box. Savings: $100 for haircut/highlights and $250 for botox, which I was never seriously considering. Seriously...
Now the hardest haircut in the family is the head that I've been working on the longest, little buddy Tyce's. Boys' cuts are really hard! It looks like it is just buzzed off and all one length, but it actually requires twenty minutes of sweat-inducing work with the clippers. I use four different height guards for the clippers and gradually fade down to the shortest length around the neck and ears. And poor kiddo is squirming and sneezing and itching the whole time. Then, I have to vacuum my whole house and scrub the tub after his bath. And wash a bunch of hair-covered clothing, his and mine. Not easy. All for $15 savings. I'm thinking this one might not pay off in the end, except for the convenience of not having to book an appointment, load everyone into the car and make two kids sit still during a salon visit. Of course, the kids might disagree since the suckers that are dispensed after salon haircuts are apparently the greatest confection ever created.
I think we are all summer-ready with our spiffy new 'dos, which should look absolutely amazing soaking wet in a pool! And just in case you need a daily dose of cuteness, here ya go:
2 comments:
The kids hair looks great! SkippyJon doesn't look bad and I like your bangs so I think the exercise in frugality is a success. I'm trying one myself. I last had my hair done in the end of January and haven't found time to get in since I got back so I think I need a trim sometime next month. Maybe I will let you try some of those highlights out on me. ;-)
Steph
Success! Good job, Mama! If only I lived closer, you could so give my entire haircuts (uh, as if you'd want to...) Gianni may be 4 before he needs his first trim, but I am so looking forward to it, and since I don't know what the heck to do with boys hair, I will probably pay someone. I have trimmed the girl's myself and since their's is so straight, I was nervous, but it wasn't bad and I will most likely do it again. I cut my own all the time. Which explains A LOT, what what?
Post a Comment